Thursday, December 2, 2010

Communication Beyond the Classroom

Throughout the last few months, our management class has undertaken a new way of learning and communicating with each other by ways of blogging. While students in other management classes are forced to go home and write a lengthy paper, our class was given the opportunity to creatively express our thoughts in a much more meaningful way. Blogging assignments to me were a lot more beneficial and I actually looked forward to them more so then having to do a paper or other type of project. As someone who is kind of quiet in class, it gave me another way to be able to communicate with my classmates on the material learned. It also provided me with the opportunity to get to get to learn more about my classmates and discover that many of us are in the same boat in certain instances. Blogging was also a creative way to express ourselves about the material we have learned and the activities we performed. Perhaps down the road I won't remember exactly what I learned in management class but what I will remember is the egg planning activity, jello inventions, and drawing shapes. Writing about these activities in my blog helps me remember which aspect of management we used when performing these tasks and helps me to better remember the steps taken to get to the final outcome. I have previously heard of blogging but have never used it or didn't really know too much about it, but I certainly have learned about it and wish it was used in other classes to creatively express yourself. I think the blog should definitely be a component of this course as it should be for most other courses as well. It really gives students the opportunity to not only communicate with other students, but the opportunity to learn from them and get new ideas. After this course, I think I still might continue blogging and hope more people will also.

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't consider you one of the quiet ones in the class but I do agree that we remember more of the material through the application of theoretical ideas. It also provides us with an opportunity to see different view points on the same ideas and may or may not influence the way we perceived it. You can make a comparison between our blog assignments and a 360 degree feedback method that many organizations are beginning to use. It looks at an employee from different perspectives, just as we have been looking at application of theories from different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too wish that other courses would integrate blogging as part of their curriculum. You are right although we will not remember the details of the lectures, we will certainly remember the main concepts of the class. I also enjoyed going home and blogging rather then writing lengthy papers on which most of the grade is based on grammar and structure rather then the work and thought put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging could let our student to share their experience and ideas after the class activity. Also, the blog entire could make us to express the process of the class activity. What we learn from the activity and what is relating to our course. And I think everyone enjoy and have fun during the activity. Blogging also could let our student to communicate with each other; we could left the common on each other blog or express our feeling on it. I hope we can continue on the blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that blogging is a good way to communicate between classmates. We remember more what we have written in our blog that the class lecture. I think many business classes should require blog assignment because learning is not just in class, but it's goes beyond the classroom. Some people have something special to them, but you cannot figure out until you read their blog entries. This is the best place where people can express their ideas. I hope we'll all continue to write something in our blog in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I have to admit I didn't see the blog to have such positive impact on anyone in the classroom before reading your blog. But then again that is the point of the blog. To give us insight into the thinking of our classmates and peers. I also see that some of the other students in class shared a similar view. For this reason, I guess I do see the usefulness of the blog because i wouldn't have became aware of this different take without reading this. This is especially true since I sat next to you on several occasions and can't remember you sharing your thoughts with the rest of the class. Thanks

    ReplyDelete