Monday, November 15, 2010

My Way or the Highway...Apparently??

The other day in class we were given a leadership/management diagnostic test to determine which qualities we possess and the type of leader or manager we would make. Interestingly enough, I ended up being a Dc. D is a manager who tends to be dominant shaping the environment by overcoming opposition to accomplish results. When I first read that I was a D, I was a bit confused because I didn't think "dominance" was the word I would use to describe myself. After reading all of the descriptions and characteristics of each of the 4 styles, I learned that Dominance probably best characterizes me. There are some particular tendencies that describe me more than some of the other ones. I thought at first  that I would be a C conscientiousness which oddly enough ended up being my second style. I'm content with being a D mainly because of my competitive side and I also like a good challenge. I think it would be difficult to change the type of manager you would be because its changing a lot about yourself. Though it may be difficult, I do not believe that it is impossible to change certain things about the way you would manage or lead. I think it's probably a good idea to figure out what type of management style they have to learn more about the way they would lead and the way they would handle certain situations. This type of test would probably help in personal interactions to see how people would react in different circumstances and to learn more about their personalities and ways of doing things. I think this was a good way to discover what type of manager I could potentially make in the future.

5 comments:

  1. I was a Dc as well; I don't know how much I agree with it. I feel like I'm more of an I... Maybe that's just what I want to be and not what I am. Regardless of the fact, I agree with you that it's very difficult or close to impossible to change subconscious behaviors. One managerial style is not better than another; they simply work well in different situations. For that reason it's important to foster and build upon the traits that define you as opposed to changing them. Being in a managerial position is just not for me so even if I were to make a "dominant manager" in a hypothetical situation such as this, I'll probably never utilize that in practice. Good luck to you with your future dominant managerial/leader endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post and the comment you have written on mine. For the most part the test were very accurate but there were parts that I did not agree with. In retro spec it could most certainly be that I am in denial, because when I showed that to people close to me they believed it all. Nonetheless it was a great insight onto myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the Dc person too. When the result came out I just so confused that is my personality. But after I read the description, I believe I am the “dominance". I am the person who wants to have power to do everything. And I want to everything by organize or step by step. This test gave me too much fun, and also let me to know more about myself. So, I hope we can have a good future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the group assignments I have done with you, I would have thought you would end up with a C or a S. You're a team player and when you don't agree with an idea, you're gentle in disagreeing with it so as to avoid conflict and tension. You also are a good listener who weighs the pros and the cons. To me, you don't seem to be a D, but maybe that's only because I don't know you outside of class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree this test was very good with determining what type of manager you would be. I was also a Dc and i felt that the test described me accurately because just like you it either has to be my way or the highway. I think that taking control of situations sometimes is not that bad.

    ReplyDelete