Thursday, October 21, 2010

"The Best of Both Worlds"

There seemed to be a lot of disappoint the day our first exams were returned. We learned that about half the class failed with below a 60 and the highest grade in the class was an 86. With all of us striving for success, this was obviously a huge disappointment to all of us who studied countless hours with our heads buried in our Management book. Luckily, we were given the opportunity to develop a decision that would make the situation better. The catch, the entire class had to agree 100% on the decision. Initially I thought this task would be impossible as I thought that many people would have concerns about the suggested ideas. Two members in our class stepped up to be our leaders. They were the ones who took the suggestions and wrote the ideas on the board. From their, people would raise their hands and share their opinions on the various issues at hand. The leaders definitely helped as many didn't quite understand what the "deal" included. I think it was difficult to come up with ideas because I know I honestly didn't believe that our professor was going to be willing to help us out as much as he did. Ideas were given and some were immediately turned down right off the bat. Some wanted to do what was best for the class as a whole, some thought about themselves, some wanted to receive the grade that they deserved and learn from their mistakes. With a lot of thought, debate, agreement, and disagreement, we finally came to our decision, we would have a curve, our lowest exam score dropped, and an extra credit. As a class our decision strategy was one of compromise as we were all able to throw out different ideas and suggestions and eventually agreed on one after weighing the good points versus the bad points. Personally, I engaged in avoidance decision making as I listened to what everyone else had to say which ended out working out the best in my opinion. I think this was a great demonstration of how the decision process is carried out and how difficult it can be to get a large group of people to agree on something as important as grades.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, you right we are luckily to have a chance to improve our grades. And the professor is giving whole class time for us to process this exam decision. I know there are very difficult to agree all because everyone has different ideas. Therefore, there is very helpful for whole class to process thing and everyone was agreeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't think the professor would be so generous, but he surprised us all in the end. I agree that the leaders helped a lot, otherwise it could have been very chaotic. It was kind of annoying when people couldn't agree on one thing, but it all worked out in the end, and we all got a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I aslo found that everyone in class agreeing seemed inpossiable. This put me in a state of avoidance and denial. Yet, as the leaders steped up it seemed to help my outlook. Is that what you felt too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this whole process taught us something. In life never take things for granted and always take advantage of the opportunity. I thought we did quite well on deciding what to get out of this whole situation. The professor gave us a chance to deicde our own fate, which was very generous of him. This will boost our confidence level, for the next test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off all, I was surprised when professor left it on our hands to decide about both the exams. It was a golden opportunity for all of us to boost up our grade in some or the other way.
    I was also in a state of avoidance, as I tended to listen to others throwing out ideas. It did get kinda frustrating when we couldn't get 100% support on one thing. However, I was very happy with the final decision. :)

    ReplyDelete